Thursday, June 12, 2014

The Chopping Block 6/11/14

Hello again, folks!

This is week two of "The Chopping Block," and I'm going to go into a little more why I kept certain books over others.  This is a fluid blog, things change on a whim (my whim) ;)

Here’s my original pull for NCBD 6/11/14:
And that was before I realized that Superman/Wonder Woman WASN'T on there :P

Let's start with the easiest cuts, Marvel. I've stated before that I'll just have to wait for them to come to Marvel Unlimited, since it's a service I already pay for, and is grossly underutilized.

As far as what books I kept and why, here's the run-down:
All-New X-Men: I've absolutely LOVED this book, especially since Battle of the Atom and the Guardians of the Galaxy cross-over.  It's nice to see a book that had what seemed to be a limited shelf-life, be able to mutate into something more lasting.

Captain Marvel: If you've read my blog before, you know that Carol is one of my favorite characters, and her run as Captain Marvel has been stellar! No way I could wait six months for this title!

Mighty Avengers: What seemed, at first, an arbitrary "Avengers" title, has grown to be one of my favorites to read each month!  The "Original Sin" tie-in is a bonus & Al Ewing has surpassed any expectations I had for the launch of this book.

New Avengers: C'mon! Did you REALLY think I'd give up arguably THE BEST AVENGERS BOOK?!? You must be crazy if you thought that! Hickman FTW!

Secret Avengers: Kot and Walsh have rejuvenated this ailing "Avengers" franchise and breathed new life into it.  Seriously, any book with MODOK can't be missed!

She-Hulk: Soule can do NO wrong, in my book!  This is, by far, his strongest title (and I LOVE his DC work!), of course it could be due to his intimate knowledge of Jennifer's profession ;)

As usual, the Non-Big 2 are the next to get chopped. Here's the books I kept and why (taking into account that this is where Vertigo and Icon books would be as well):

Armor Hunters: First off, it's only a mini. Secondly, it's Kindt, Braithwaite, and Valiant, so a no-brainer for me!  I'll continue to get all Valiant books, but this is one that I'll get without the price drop (on NCBD).

Manifest Destiny: Possibly my favorite Image book (right there with Deadly Class).  No way I could trade wait this bad boy!

The Royals: Masters of War: Another mini that's almost over, but even if it were an ongoing, it would stay because of the quality storytelling and the compelling subject matter.

Star Wars: Soon to be gone, this book is.  Keep it I must. Enjoy this book, I have.

Our next cuts come from the DC camp.  Here are the books staying alive on my pull list:

Batman Eternal: A weekly series that I'm fully vested in. I'm in for the long haul!

Detective Comics: Fantastic art, compelling writing, and, let's be honest: it's Batman.  Not going 
anywhere.

Green Lantern Corps: Jensen has recharged this title, and the current "Uprising" cross over with Green Lantern has been awesome!

Justice League United: I'm a sucker for team books, and Lemire and McKone have been doing a fantastic job so far with this fledgling title! Sticking with this one for the foreseeable future.

The New 52: Futures End: Another weekly series that I'm all in for!  Fantastic writing, interesting characters, and great art!  No stopping until it's over.

Superman/Wonder Woman: You know that I love Soule's writing, and this is probably his strongest DC title!  Pair that with stunning art by Daniel, and you have a must read book!  Superman: Doomed has also been a pleasant surprise!

Final cuts come from the Digital Firsts.  These books are usually forgotten about until I get on to Comixology to get my new books.  Since they aren't listed on the normal pull list, the only books that I WOULD have gotten are the Original Sin Infinity books.  I might get them sometime down the road, just not now.

Of course, as you saw last week, Batman '66 isn't going anywhere!  Love this digital title, and I'm on for however long they want to make it!

Well, I hope this helps shed some light on my cuts, and the method to my madness that is comics!
See you next week, on The Chopping Block!

No comments:

Post a Comment