Thursday, June 19, 2014

The Chopping Block 6/18/14

image

Hello again, folks!

We are now on week three of “The Chopping Block,” and thanks to the generosity of my twitter-family, I didn't have to cut everything this week. Thanks to all you cool cats that made my week a little bit better :)

Here’s my original pull for NCBD 6/18/14:
image

As usual, I'll start with the Marvel portion of the pull list.  As always, Marvel Unlimited will play a HUGE role in what books get cut, since I'll be able to go back and read any Marvel book after the 6 month moratorium has passed.

Here are the keepers and why (PS: HUGE thanks to Tom, Jason, and Chris! Your generosity is astounding!):

image

Avengers: Always a no-brainer with Hickman at the helm.  One of the most consistently amazing books I read each month, and throw in Yu art FTW!

Avengers World: Another no-brainer!  Avengers World focuses on some of the more obscure or under-utilized Avengers, and that's where some of the best stories come from, IMO!

Daredevil: Do I even NEED a reason?  No way this one falls to the wayside!  Best solo title out from Marvel right now!

Original Sin: A strong mini-series from a great team!  This one is really changing the landscape in the 616, and I LOVE it!

Silver Surfer: See DD above!  No way is this one getting cut, unless this team decides to pull a Beatles and split!

Thor: God of Thunder: If you follow me on twitter (and if you don't, you really should), you know that initially this book was one of the chopped.  Through some convincing, I read the books that I hadn't read yet, and boy, was I wrong!  The current story arc is AMAZING, and chopping this title would have been a HUGE mistake!  Thanks guys, you know who you are ;)

Next up, the Non-Big 2, where there weren't too many titles I read anyway:

image

Unity: One of Valiant's best titles, and part of the massive Armor Hunters cross over!  Can't let this one go!

As a side note: I plan to pick up Harbinger once the price drops, as I just picked up the missing issues during their 99-cent sale a few weeks back. Love those deals :) Same goes for Magnus. Due to funds this week, I was unable to pick it up, but I definitely plan to get it after the price drop.

Now the DC books (and a HUGE thanks to Ben! You ROCK, brother!):

image

Batman and Robin: One of the most underrated DC titles, and the most consistently GREAT books on the shelves!  Plus, it's Batman ;)

Batman Eternal & Futures End: See previous posts of "The Chopping Block"

Wonder Woman: I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that this is DC's strongest solo title!  Yep, I said it! Batman is great, but Azzarello's run has been one for the ages!

The Digital Firsts are the last to get cut since I usually don't see them until I log in to Comixology :P I was able to get the first 2 issues of Infinite Crisis: Fight for the Multiverse as well, so after I read those, I'll determine whether they get chopped or not:

image

Batman '66 Meets the Green Hornet: One of the best minis out right now!  Grab this one, guys, it's awesome :)

Hope you guys enjoy reading these!  It helps me come to terms with the cuts, so even if you don't, I'll still make them :P

See you guys next Thursday, on The Chopping Block!

No comments:

Post a Comment