
Welcome to my new weekly look back at what I thought were the best reads of the week.
That doesn't mean that other books weren't good, just that these are the cream of the crop, in my book!
5: Batman Eternal #14

One of the most brutal issues of a Batman comic I've ever read, and it gives you a really good look into the Penguin's psyche. The "Bat-trust" continues to craft amazing stories and add depth to the Batman corner of the DCU. I thought Jason Bard & Vicki Vale's plan to bring down both Penguin and Falcone was brilliant, but I can also see why Batman isn't quite as "gung-ho" about the new arrangement. Fascinating series!
4: Spread #1

I can't help it, I'm always down for a post-apocalyptic story. This is another #1 issue that has to establish the rules of the new world we are witnessing, but even on the premise alone, it was an entertaining story. I like the "Lone Wolf and Cub" vibe going on, and I'm down for at least a few more issues to see where this leads!
3: Spider-Man 2099 #1

Usually, when a writer returns to a property, it's not quite the same or as good as we remember the original. PAD has a distinct advantage, however. Yes, he was the original writer on the 1st Spider-Man 2099 title, but this version is the same character, but set in modern day Marvel Universe. It's a cool "fish out of water" story with a familiar character literally out of his element. I'm looking forward to seeing what Liz does when (or IF) she discovers just who this new Spider-Man is!
2: Daredevil #5

By far, one of the best DD stories I've read, and that's really saying something with this creative team! And creative they are! I loved that they were able to give Foggy such a heroic death, but also the scenes with Pym are gold! I remember seeing DC do that with the Atom, and it's awesome to see his Marvel counterpart "fighting the good fight" as well. Poignant, riveting, and heart-felt...what else do you want?
1: Grayson #1

This one even shocked me! I was on the fence with this book when it was first announced, and didn't even know for sure that I was going to get it until I read the preview. WOW! If anyone in the DCU could go from acrobatic detective super-hero to international super-spy, it's Dick Grayson! The train scene (from the preview) was fantastic, and the showdown with Midnighter perfectly showed his prowess as a fighter and how innovative and fluid he is in a fight. I was really impressed with this debut issue, and after reading the last page, how could I miss issue 2?
What where your favorite reads from last week?
No comments:
Post a Comment